Houston Fire Department issues warnings on dryer fires
The Houston Fire Department has issued a warning on dryer fires after an incident that happened Sunday, July 8.
The HFD responded to a fire around noon on July 8 in the 16800 block of Green Quail Drive. After relinquishing the fire, it was discovered the fire began in the lint exhaust tube of the dryer and extended to the wall where the exhaust fan exited the exterior of the home.
There were no reported injuries, but the fire caused about $11,500 in damage to the home, according to a press release.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, "failure to clean" is the leading cause of the 12,700 clothes dryer fires that occur in residential buildings in the U.S. each year. The accumulation of lint not only reduces the airflow, but also creates a very flammable fuel source.
For tips on how to avoid dryer fires and other household appliance fires, visit www.usfa.fema.gov/citizens/focus/appliances.shtm.
Local Advertising by PaperG